Monday, June 17, 2019

Final Reflection ~Domonique


I am currently sitting at an airport on a layover desperately attempting to pull some words together to describe this course and I am failing miserably. The past five weeks have been an absolute blur. I feel like I was caught in a tornado of YSI instruments, scientific names, boats, excel spreadsheets, seagrass, hydras, and snorkel gear, though rescued may not be the correct word, but I would give anything to jump back in. 


I have learned more about a career as a marine biologist in these past 5 weeks than in any class I have taken. Everything was hands on which allowed us to gain experience in techniques we normally would never see unless training for a job. My peers and I have been discussing how wonderful our resumes are going to look after we update them! I firmly believe that this course will give me a competitive edge when applying for future jobs and programs.



I would like to thank all of our mentors throughout the trip. At each location you made us feel welcome while challenging us both mentally and physically. It was clear that each professor was passionate about their topic and perhaps inspired us to follow that course. I on the other hand am still partial to cephalopods, however I am now even more adamant about going on a research cruise in the future.



Finally, I would like to thank my fellow peers. Five weeks of intense interaction is a true test of characters and everyone was so wonderful! I will always treasure our adventures and amazing road trips. I can’t wait to see where everyone ends up and I hope to visit you when I return from the Emerald Ilse. 


No comments:

Post a Comment