Sunday, June 16, 2019

The Bittersweet Farewell By: Dana Dragon

The Bittersweet Farewell
By: Dana Dragon
(late posting due to power outage… gotta love Florida summers haha)

To properly begin this final blog post, you should know this is the product of 6 drafts. I know…  yikes! None of the previous weeks had ever been difficult to write for, but this week was different. This week I was at a loss for words because there was too much to be said for all this course has done for me! It not only opened my eyes to the vast possibilities that lie within the field of marine science, but it showed me what it looks like to live out your passions and make a difference in the world! Little did I know truly just how impactful this course was going to be! I have learned more not only about the ocean but about myself than I ever have before! This course stretched me past my limits through long days working in the field, to learning how to use all the pieces of equipment and not to mention being mentally flooded with an incredible wealth of knowledge from the instructors and my fellow nerds.
Snorkeling in the Keys

As quickly as this adventure began 5 weeks ago, it ended just like that! From day one, 16 bright-minded and eager strangers were introduced to one another and little did we know the incredible adventure we were about to embark on! But after spending 5 weeks working until you can’t anymore and then working even more, to living in such close quarters you could hear the other person breathing and last but not least cooking meals for the whole group praying you wouldn’t give anyone food poisoning... we have all become better people and scientists because of these experiences! We all had to learn how to work well with one another and when tensions arose, learn how to resolve them and continue to work in a professional manner. I am incredibly thankful for each and every one of you and for what you taught me along the way! Thank you :)
Group picture at Windley Key

I would also like to give a special thanks to ALL of the professors who took a week of their time, or even a day, to spend it with our group teaching us what they are passionate about! Your time, patience, and efforts were appreciated and you are what made this course a once in a lifetime experience! Before, I thought I knew about Florida's coastal ecosystems, but you all showed us first hand truly how diverse they can be! Now I have greater respect and understanding for the ocean as well as how much humans are impacting them. Also thank you to our GA, Amanda, who spent the most time with our group than anyone else did! She did so much work behind the scenes to make this trip run as smoothly as it did that we could not have done it without her! We will make you all proud in our future endeavors whether in academia, research, government agencies, or public education! Thank you again, for everything!!
Dr. Judkins and myself with the CTD and Niskin bottles 

Last, but certainly not least, thank you to the Florida Institute of Oceanography for creating and funding this course! There is truly no other course like this and I am overflowing with gratitude that I had the opportunity to be apart of it. I chose to spend 5 weeks of my summer participating in this course because I wanted to gain more experience and hopefully better determine what I want to do in life. And oh boy did I gain experience!!! I was able to do things I have never been able before like operate an ROV, perform shark surveys, filter for microplastics, tour the EPA, and be interviewed by the local news! Although I am still unsure of what career path I want to pursue, the experiences from this course have helped me to narrow it. And that’s what life is about… you learn something new every day and there is always a place in your life in which it can be applied!

My advice to future students would be to not hesitate in registering for this course, because it will be the best decision you ever make! Don't be led astray though, we worked our butts off every single day... but the rewards, in the end, made it all worth it! Also, take it from an incredibly pale person... wear sunscreen and SPF clothing... seriously haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment