Saturday, June 15, 2019

The Final Chapter- Georgia Lombardy

Yesterday was the last day of the Marine Field Studies FIO course of 2019. As excited as I was to go home and sleep in my own bed, I am definitely having withdrawals. From not adventuring out into the field everyday to not being surrounded by the most amazing people 24/7, I definitely feel like a piece of me is missing and it is going to take some readjusting. This course has brought me more than I could have ever asked or imagined. I have learned copious amounts of knowledge from all of the 14 different professors we had the privilege of working with one on one. Even though I already knew what career path I wanted to take, there were some moments I thought about venturing into something else because there were so many different topics and field skills thrown at us and so many peaked my interest.

Identifying shells on the Weatherbird II

After working in the field for 7 or more hours a day, it is really easy to want to go seclude yourself in your room and rest. At some sites this was not an option, so naturally we all grew super close and became one big family. I clearly noticed this on our last two weeks when we all had individual rooms but would still end up spending all of our time together in the common rooms instead. From cooking and sharing meals together to getting stung by hydrozoans together, we all bonded instantly in ways I'm sure most of us didn't even know was possible. I am forever grateful for this group of people I was so lucky to spend the last five weeks with. 

Beaches day at UNF

I would like to thank the Florida Institute of Oceanography for allowing such an amazing course like this to take place. I am a graduating senior and this was the last course I needed to graduate, and I can easily say this was the most beneficial course of my college career. I have learned more in the past 5 weeks than I ever could have in one whole semester. This class combines so many different ecosystems to allow for a class that basically covers all science subjects and courses in one. Taking this course after all of my other required marine biology courses was a great way for me to observe and experience everything I have learned first hand. I am forever grateful that we as students have the opportunity to travel around a state that is so diverse in its environment. Some may not see the importance in learning about the marine environment of this beautiful state, but educating those eager to learn will only benefit our environment and planet in the long run. And it is safe to say that every student that walks out of this course has this new and appreciative outlook on the environment.

Snorkeling the Keys

Thank you all for the best summer course. I wish all of you wonderful future scientists a successful career, your biggest cheer team is right here :)

No comments:

Post a Comment