Sunday, June 9, 2019

The Weatherboy-Madison Wallwork

my friends
The highlight of my week was for sure The Weatherbird. It was such an amazing experience to be on a boat like that! It was hard and a little bit stressful but I am so glad I go to experience (somewhat) what a research cruise can be like. Identifying unknown species was extremely challenging, but it was also my favorite part!

Identifying invertebrate species
There were a ton of species that were new to me and what a better way to learn than to see it in person and then scour a field book for something that looks similar. It was insane to see how many different species we brought up in the trawls and also just the sheer number of fish. In the nighttime otter trawl we had so many Sea Robins.
It was also amazing to see octopods in person for the first time! I even got to dissect the octopuses to identify them. Seeing these animals change colors and seeing their arms while they were alive was incredibly cool. There were also many invertebrate species I had never seen before. I got to see at least 5 difference species of brittle stars which I thought was really cool, even though they were a pain to identify.
All in all the best part was getting to experience this with so many people that I love to be around and work with. This group of students has been so much fun to work and learn with and I have loved this course so much. 



No comments:

Post a Comment