Saturday, June 15, 2019

Final Post- Maria Bermudez



Wow... after five long weeks of field work, driving, and twin sized beds it feels weird to write this from the comfort of my own home. It's hard to believe its over because this course has given me so much. I began this course with a slight fear of the opean ocean (the Titanic traumatized me), but have since gained such a deep appreciation and understanding of the beauty and diversity of our oceans. While I still likely won't be a marine ecologist, the knowledge I've gained has allowed me to better understand our planet and the complex interactions between land and sea. It has pushed me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to grow both as a person and a scientist.
Touring the Environmental Protection agency 


Not only have I learned about new ecosystems, but I have also come to understand what it means to be a scientist. Throughout the course we got the opportunity to learn from a wide array of scientist in all different fields, microbial ecologist, paleoclimatologist, ornithologist, plant ecologist, and more. We also got to interact with scientist who worked in different sectors, including academia, non-profits, and governmental organizations. Every instructor I encountered was knowledgeable and more than willing to share with me how they found their research interest and ended up in the field their in. As a senior looking for graduate programs this has been instrumental in deciding my next steps.
Me and my favorite things, plants at the Blackwater forest 



This last week at UWF was especially impactful having gotten the opportunity to spend some time on land for change. While touring the Blackwater State Forest, and it's longleaf pine and bog habitats, my love of terrestrial ecosystems was confirmed.
Exploring the sunken gardens of St. Petersburg on our weekend off

However, I can't talk about this course and not mention my classmates. The opportunity to interact with 15 of my peers and fellow science nerds was unforgettable. Together we got to share this amazing experience, explore and learn together and from each other.





Thank you to the Florida Institute of Oceanography, all the universities, all the instructors, the Keys Marine Lab Staff, my peers, and my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment