Saturday, June 15, 2019

Week 5 UWF- Laura Dunn

Week five at UWF started with- of course- water samples!  We visited Carpenter's Creek, which runs down through urban areas.  This really showed just how close humans are to the natural waters, and we learned how the morphology of the creek has changed over time.  During the week we went to Pensacola beach for lunch, which was one of my favorite activities.  Living in Fort Myers, I am not a huge fan of Gulf beaches, much preferring the wild Atlantic I was raised on.  However, Pensacola beach was a happy surprise because it seemed to be a perfect mixture of calm Gulf waters, yet had the wave action of the Atlantic.  There was even a Billabong surf camp! (Surfing is something we take very seriously over in Brevard County).

We also got the chance to visit Blackwater River & State Forest.  I would have liked to gone on a trail in the forest, but still seeing all the different parts and learning about the burn methods was very interesting.  It was clear just how effective prescribed burning can be to an area, but there are precautions that need to be made and elements that need to be considered. 
Overall I am exhausted.  We finished the week working in the lab and finishing our presentations.  Thank you Dr. Judkins, for holding what I like to call a "mini symposium".  It helped an immense amount, and made a huge difference in the quality of our presentations as well as boosting my confidence when presenting information I had researched.  Overall, the symposium went well and I am very proud of my group and the whole class.  My sister's friend got to attend, and although she is not a science discipline she told me after a lot of things we very interesting (minus the maths) and made her think about factors she had not considered before. 
This class in a unique opportunity to learn exactly how field studies are conducted, handle a wide range of scientific instruments, work alongside scientists and identify what makes you excited and curious about in the endless realm of marine science. 

No comments:

Post a Comment