Friday, June 14, 2019

Week 5: The bitter-sweet goodbye (Mackenzie Reiselt)


I cannot believe that the last week of this amazing class has come to an end. Although this week was hectic and stressful, it has rounded this course off perfectly. This week focused on the connection between land and water, specifically focusing on watersheds. Watersheds are the natural land features that filter pollution and nutrients out from water runoff before it enters the rivers and bay systems.



Mostly, the field aspect of this week consisted purely of water quality and collecting samples. These samples were then brought back to the lab for analysis and data interpretation. Our final projects and presentations were due on our final day (Friday) of this 5 week long course. The amount of energy and stress I put into this project was unreal. There were definitely some emotional and frustrating moments that occurred during the prepping of our presentation. However, in the end, everyone’s project turned out very well.

Personally, I felt a sense of pride wash over after I was finished presenting and when I was able to answer all questions that were asked of me. I believe this experience of data collection, analysis, interpretation, and presenting has been the most valuable resource from this class for my future. I know I will be moving onto grad-school and presentations/thesis projects control the majority of this degree process. Therefore, I am extremely grateful for how this class has prepared me for my near future endeavors.

This goodbye is a very bitter-sweet time. I appreciate all the instructors who have help guide me and build me into the student I am now. I really appreciate Amanda for all the picture taking, grocery shopping, prepping, and guidance she has done for all of us. And finally, I am so grateful that this course ran smoothly due to the friendships and cooperation between all the students. Thank you guys, and good luck with your next adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment